25 May 2011

i'm obsessed with...white

My friend told me the other day that I am obsessed with white. I admit, I do love it and use it a lot. But that doesn't mean my rooms (or me!) are boring! On the contrary, white can be one of the most interesting (non) colours there is. White signifies purity, clarity, goodness, simplicity, and beginnings. It is timeless and opulent. It is chic and fresh. And it is fantastic alone or with any other colour. It is, in my opinion, perfection.

White is actually more complicated than it sounds when decorating, however. White has a wide range of tones and hues, and can take on different looks according to the undertone used. A yellow undertone, for example is great for a mellow, aged look in a traditional room. Antique White by Benjamin Moore is a great one. Stark whites or whites with a blue undertone are great for contemporary design. Decorator's White from Benjamin Moore is also a fave.

White on white is a striking look for a room. Using several shades of white will create depth. The key to success is to add lots of texture with rugs, flooring, cushions, furniture and decorative items. I love the look of all white with natural materials such as wood. Accessories with a hint of colour also can add interest. And of course black always works with any colour to ground a space.

Here are some examples of white rooms that I love. What do you think?











Photos 1,2: The White Company; 3,4: Decor8; 5,6: A Beach Cottage; 7.8: House Beautiful; 9: Lilee Marie; 10:Decor Pad

No comments :

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!