8 September 2013

before and after: upcycled vintage lamp

I found a beautifully shaped vintage mid-century modern lamp in Alberta before I moved, and never had time to refresh it and put it on display. Until now. 


I was inspired by the amazing fabrics in the concentration of shops along Ottawa Street in Hamilton. They are gems! I found a taupe and white cotton that is reminiscent of the 60's, and also would go well in my home office, which is turquoise. 


The lamp when purchased was in fantastic shape except for the shade, which was outdated and stained. 

BEFORE
I cleaned up the lamp itself, painted the inside of the shade white to cover stains, and then simply cut a long strip of the fabric, slightly wider than the shade, and rolled it on tight with the help of my trusty hot glue gun. 



So simple and cheap (the lamp was $10 and the fabric was $6), and so much more sustainable and interesting than buying a new lamp! 


Happy refreshing everyone. 

2 comments :

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for making my day!